Pages

  • RSS

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Innocent Fabric and Some Very Evil Dye

My SWATH (Snow White and the Huntsman) costume is not going well. I haven't even started sewing it yet, and already trouble is brewing. Over the weekend I went shopping for the material. Green suede with some brown dye to render it more earthy, cream cotton for the underskirt and white cotton which I planned to dye with a mixture of grey and blue. Or so I thought.

Goodies!
Deciding that I would only need the grey colour, I put the grey dye in a giant bucket and stirred it up with boiling water and salt, following the instructions. Trustingly, I asked my Dear Mother's opinion of the colour, which I thought looked too purple. She said to drop it in and get it out straight away and we should be right. This is what came out. -Sniff-. Not the silvery-pale blue on the left, the navy blue on the right. I nearly cried. My only consolation is that it is actually a very nice colour, so I can eventually make something else out of it, but not my underdress.

Good & ...
...Evil!
It was put through the washing machine immediately, but didn't lose any of the colour. So I guess its back to the shops for some pale blue cotton, in a shade near enough to what I want, since I am too scared to make another attempt at dying more. Needless to say, I will be VERY careful and only put the tiniest pinch of brown dye with my green suede, since it is almost the right colour now. It only needs a light wash of brown.
And this time I will test a scrap, instead of being lazy. I have learnt from my mistake already. =) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment